Search This Blog

Monday, September 21, 2009

Ingredients:

When I become frustrated or just stuck and don't where to go next, the answer often comes to me in the form of a new media, technique, or material. It's sort of an 'exploration = evolution' way of thinking I suppose, and it has always had satisfying results for me. Labeling oneself a 'painter' or 'printmaker' can be self-restricting sometimes. Although I fancy myself a 'printmaker', not all of my ideas really lend themselves to print media (though of course you can be very creative with it).

Despite the general theme or content that I might be dealing with, what I really want to do with art is provoke a pretty specific reaction. By presenting an image or collection of imagery that has something amiss, something that seems contradictory to our normal way of perceiving, I hope to momentarily confuse my audience. I want people to investigate, question, and reevaluate the way in which they see the subject matter as well as themselves.

While this type of reaction can be achieved through the use of opposing imagery as well as through more technical means, such as color choice or scale, the use of a new or different material can have the same effect. This is something that I have only recently thought to explore, but I have already found inspiration in clear plastic gloves, thumbtacks, plaster, cardboard, linen, sand, and bricks. To me these materials could be used either on their own, or in conjunction with other media that I work with in order to create that element of unease and confusion. It is important, however, to consider the physical and visual implications of any new material or found objects.

Despite the fact that new media and materials are exciting and definitely a progressive step for me in my experience, I still often think in terms of screen-printing, relief printing, and lithography. Not only are the results beautifully graphic and multiple, but the process is marvelous. Your body performs a series of steps and then repeats them over and over, becoming like an art machine, with usually very gratifying results. The inherent need for layering in designing a print also forces me to organize my content. Printmaking is also very connected with drawing (especially litho), which I love to do. I also always find myself returning to painting, perhaps for its wild, expressive nature, but also for its solace.

No comments:

Post a Comment