Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

STATEMENT #4

As a person of mixed racial and ethnic background, I am quite familiar with existing in and identifying with two different groups at once. Although I identify with two unique cultures, I am often pressured to choose between the two. It is an awkward, sometimes uncomfortable position to be in, and at times it makes me feel that I am not a part of either camp, but in my own grey area between the two. I suppose this is the reason for my fascination with people's perceptions of each other, and my own perception of myself, which is constantly influx. The act of making art has, as a result, become for me a constant reexamination of myself, as well as a way of questioning notions of truth and identity.

What defines identity? As people, we individually identify with communities greater than ourselves, with society, collective entities that often dictate certain protocols, perception, and cultural codes. In a sense, then, we are what they say we are. These groups use various tools and constructions to differentiate themselves. Clothing and fashion, social cliques, race, sexuality, language, possession, and nowadays technology are all basic methods of building an identity. And yet, on a much more personal level, there are the much more interesting and mysterious relationships that individuals develop through their experiences that really seem to either define, or completely shroud them. Intimate elements, and nostalgia, in the form of keepsakes, heirlooms, words and text, and collections, help us to remember who we are. While these things are ephemeral by nature, they carry a timeless quality.

Exploring this ironic truth raises questions about reality and perception, as well as the idea of simultaneous attachment and detachment. I try to achieve a similar sense of uneasy truth in my work by juxtaposing or combining seemingly opposing imagery, dealing with collections and series, and through my choice in materials. Wood, paper, string, and clay maintain the natural and handmade quality that I think also exists in my prints, while simultaneously belying the occasionally modern and technologically generated content of my imagery. I also believe that such natural materials and the direct human involvement in their manipulation helps to give my objects and prints their own intimate and timeless quality.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on this, Alex. I like the changes! Let me know if you have any other issues with it. I think it is really working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is this ironic truth you are talking about? That we must keep things to remember who we are? Or that ephemera is timeless?

    I think this rendition of your statement resonates most deeply with me. I am most interested in this statement, "Intimate elements, and nostalgia, in the form of keepsakes, heirlooms, words and text, and collections, help us to remember who we are." I think the whole notion of remembering who we are is problematic and I think that your work brings the nature of the collected object, ideas of self, and the created form, come together exceptionally nicely. I think the word remembering is interesting in that remembering suggests having an identity that existed before the object itself came into being, or came to define that part of yourself. It separates your identity from that of the object but at the same time inextricably links identity with the physical presence of things. Inasmuch as I do not wish to be defined or understood physically, by my form and by my objects of varying kinds, I am.

    I like what you are doing Alex. Tis very cool.

    ReplyDelete